During the quarantine
Because singing is, unfortunately, generally believed by scientists to be a high-risk behavior for transmission of respiratory droplets, our choir will be functioning in a “virtual” capacity until such time as a preventative vaccine against COVID-19 is readily available to the public.
Singers of all ages and levels of experience (and, frankly, in any location!) are welcome to join the UUCV Choir during this “virtual” period. In order to participate in the choir, you’ll just need a reliable internet connection and the ability to record your vocals in a quiet location while listening to accompaniment tracks through headphones. Then:
- Email David to let him know you’d like to participate in the choir.
- David will respond with an emailed invitation to join “My Choral Coach,” the platform we’re using to record our vocals. You’ll need to accept that invitation and set up your (free) account at My Choral Coach before you can participate.
- David will send you “Assignments” for each of the pieces the choir will be sharing in worship during the quarantine. To have your voice included in the production, learn the piece and submit your recording (audio-only—we won’t be doing videos) before the published deadline (see below).
That’s it! David (and/or another tech-savvy elf) will compile the submitted audio files into a mixed choir recording, and you’ll get to hear it during the scheduled service!
Questions? Contact David.
Scheduled Choir dates for 2020-21:
The choir will be featured in worship on the following dates. If you’d like your voice included, be sure you’ve submitted your recording by 11:59 PM on the indicated deadline.
- September 13 (Ingathering)—submit by August 30
- November 8 (Election)—we will record two pieces; both must be submitted by October 18
- December 24 (Christmas Eve)—submit by December 13
- January 17 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Sunday)—submit by January 3
- February 14 (Mardi Gras)—submit by January 31
- April 4 (Easter)—submit by March 21
When the quarantine ends
When a vaccine against COVID-19 becomes readily available to the public, we will begin planning for a return to in-person choir, as follows:
Our Choir shares special music in worship several times each month, under David’s direction, performing music from a variety of sources, styles, and traditions. Occasional solo opportunities give the congregation a chance to enjoy featured performances by many of our talented vocalists.
Singers interested in joining the choir need not have any prior experience in choral singing, music-reading, or voice training, and no auditions are required. To sing with the choir, simply join us for rehearsal in the Sanctuary at 7:30 PM on any Monday evening. (We do occasionally cancel rehearsal for weather or other unforeseen causes; if you’d like to confirm that we’ll be there it’s wise to notify David that you plan to attend.)
Choir members commit to attending and participating in the final three rehearsals (two Mondays plus Sunday morning at 9:00 AM) prior to singing with the choir in worship on any given Sunday.
On Christmas Eve each year we offer a special Family Choir experience, in which singers of all ages are invited to participate with no prior rehearsal or singing experience; see this page of David’s website for more information.